Newco created to aid Ireland FTTH rollout

Share this on social media:

Image credit: Connect world/shutterstock.com

Irish fixed broadband provider eir has partnered with InfraVia, creating a new fibre company to accelerate FTTH deployment across the Republic of Ireland.

eir will contribute its existing FTTH and copper infrastructure, with InfraVia as an investment partner help the network reach 1.9 million premises by the end of 2026. The network is designed to provide ultrafast speeds across the Republic of Ireland. InfraVia will acquire a 49.99 per cent interest in the entity, with eir retaining the remaining 50.01 per cent.

The new company, Fibre Networks Ireland, will have access to eir’s existing infrastructure base, alongside its team throughout the duration of the fibre roll out. The network will have an open access model. The company will enter into a long-term service agreement with eir, which will continue supporting the entity’s operations and investment program.

Stephen Tighe, CFO at eir said: ‘The establishment of Fibre Networks Ireland provides a vehicle for further investment in our already extensive network. eir’s mission has always been to connect people through great quality services. Through this exciting partnership with InfraVia we can improve our ability to connect customers faster than ever before and ensure that more homes in Ireland can access the high-speed internet that has become increasingly important part of how we live our lives.’

Bruno Candès, partner at InfraVia Capital Partners added: ‘We are very pleased to partner with eir and its shareholders in building out a high quality, national FTTH network that will provide next-generation connectivity across Ireland. Fibre internet access is a critical service that enables an inclusive digital transformation, and we are proud to support this transition in the Republic of Ireland. This investment builds on our existing track record in Ireland and our deep communications infrastructure experience across Europe. We look forward to working with eir in this partnership in the years ahead.’

Image credit: ThomBal/Shutterstock.com

04 March 2022

Richard Thorpe, chief delivery officer at CityFibre

15 August 2022

Image credit: metamorworks/Shutterstock.com

05 September 2022

Image credit: Connect world/shutterstock.com

29 August 2022

Pictured left to right – Swish Fibre co-founder, Alistair Goulden and Swish Yorkshire managing director, Bob Snowden

26 August 2022

Recent News

26 September 2022

The acquisition also consolidates and expands Superloop’s wifi position into adjacent on-net broadband markets.

26 September 2022

The alternative-network (altnet) provider is offering more than 30 jobs across the east of England.

23 September 2022

TXO, the major provider of critical telecom network hardware and asset management services, has announced a wide range of Fibre-to-the-X (FTTx) street cabinets to help service providers avoid supply chain challenges.

The cabinets offer 10- to 12-year lifecycles and can be delivered within eight weeks, which is significantly less than the current supply-chain delivery time of up to a year.

20 September 2022

Sivers Photonics, a subsidiary of Sivers Semiconductors, successfully demonstrated its CW-WDM MSA compliant distributed feedback (DFB) laser arrays with Ayar Labs’ SuperNova remote optical source.